"It is not the critic who counts. Not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause."
-Theodore Roosevelt

23 May 2009

All Shook Up

All Shook Up is a take on Shakespeare's Twelfth Night, in case you didn't know. I knew, and I think I missed half the show trying to figure out which characters corresponded to which Twelfth Night characters. Why did I do that?

As we have come to expect from Supa, All Shook Up is a great show that doesn't ask a lot of its audience. We joined the blue rinse set for today's matinee. It's not normally a good idea to go to a matinee, the audiences are usually a bit flat, and the performers suffer for it. This was probably true today, and yet what struck me was the technical precision displayed by the cast. Under the musical direction of Garrick Smith, the principal cast gave stunning performances of many of Elvis Presley's most popular songs, supported by an equally impressive ensemble.

It was a great show, although not a patch on Supa's recent productions of Buddy. It could have something to do with the music, but I think maybe I'm just a little too young to appreciate it the way the rest of the audience, who were mostly twice my age, did. It's a good show, but for my tastes it needed a little less sugar.

No comments: